Looking through the Bible, we get to understand that as a believer in Jesus Christ, we have got God’s calling. Below are scriptures with brief explanations on the calling of God we have.
The Believer in Christ is the one called of God. There is a calling the Believer has.
1. We are partakers of the heavenly calling just as Paul admonished in Hebrews 3:1 says,
“Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;”
2. As believers, we have God’s calling. It is a present day reality for the believer. Ephesians 4:1 says,
“I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called”.
The Word ‘Vocation’ is from the greek root word , “Klēsis”, which means Calling.
3. Ephesians 1:18 in the Amplified Bible version makes us see that there is the hope He has called us to saying,
“By having the eyes of your heart flooded with light, so that you can know and understand the hope to which He has called you, and how rich is His glorious inheritance in the saints (His set-apart ones)”
4. This calling is in salvation. The moment we received the life of Christ by believing the gospel, was the moment we heeded to the Call of God. God has Called us out of darkness to His marvellous light as 1 Peter 2:9 tells us,
“But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light”
Also, Colossians 1:13 says,
“Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son”
5. In this Calling of God, God has called us into a Blessed life. Ephesians 1:3 says,
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ”
6. God has called us into a life of Righteousness. 2 Corinthians 5:21 says,
“For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him[Christ]”.
7. God has called us into a life of justification. Romans 5:1 says,
“Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ”
That is, In this calling, We have been made righteous and justified. We have right standing with God now and forever. There is no form of Inferiority complex. It is what we have found in Christ.
8. In this calling, God has called us into a life in the Spirit. Romans 8:9 says,
“But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his”.
9. In this calling , God has called us into Sonship. We have been made sons of God. 1 John 3:1 says,
“Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not”.
Romans 8:14 says,
“For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God”.
Romans 8:15 says,
“For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father”.
As sons of God, we are made to be sitted in Christ in the place of authority. Ephesians 2:6 says,
“And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus”
10. In this calling, God has made us carriers of His divine nature. That is, the nature of God is our nature. 2 Peter 1:4 says,
“Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust”.
He has made us carriers of His power. Ephesians 1:19 says,
“And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power”
Ephesians 3:20 says,
“Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us”
11. This is the calling God has called us to. This is the calling of God on our lives. God has called us His own, Blessed, Chosen, Accepted, Redeemed and Forgiven (Ephesians 1). This is what God has called us into Now and forever more. Romans 11:29 in the Amplified Version says,
“For God’s gifts and His call are irrevocable. [He never withdraws them when once they are given, and He does not change His mind about those to whom He gives His grace or to whom He sends His call”.
12. In this calling, we have been called to live unto God. 2 Corinthians 5:15 says,
“And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again”.
13. In this calling, we have been called to be ambassadors of God’s kingdom. Ones who represent God’s kingdom; charged with the mandate to proclaim God’s call to those who have not accepted the call (unbelievers) of the Gospel of Christ Jesus (Mark 16:15, Matthew 28:18-20, 2 Corinthians 5:18-20).
You Have God’s calling. Acknowledge and confess this at all times! I call you blessed.
A Minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and student at the University of Ibadan